HELP AMERICA HEAR PROGRAM
McGuire’s Hearing Centers proudly supports the national non-profit program, Help America Hear (HAH). The program provides new high-quality hearing aids to hearing-impaired individuals with limited financial resources. Help America Hear is supported by the generosity and participation of hearing health care professionals (like McGuire’s Hearing Centers) and manufacturers who donate their time and services. Help America Hear also receives corporate and private donations, which allow the program to serve the needs of hearing-impaired populations across the nation. Contact us if you’re near one of our locations on Long Island, the Bronx, Shirley, or Westchester, NY.
DONATE USED HEARING AIDS
Did you know by donating your used hearing aid, you can help someone else hear? If you or a loved one has a hearing aid that is no longer in use, donating it can help others hear.
All hearing aids, regardless of age, make, model, or condition, may be donated to the HELP AMERICA HEAR Program, a division of HELP AMERICA HEAR Inc. A registered 501 (c) (3) not for profit.
The foundation’s mission is to provide hearing aids to men, woman, and children with limited resources within the United States and its territories. Your donation helps with the foundations ability to provide free hearing devices to those who need them most.
Since 2009 the HELP AMERICA HEAR PROGRAM has supplied over 1400 people with the gift of hearing.
We encourage hearing aid wearers and their loved ones to consider donating the devices once they are no longer being used.
Donors also are eligible for a tax benefit if they itemize donations on their taxes.
PARTICIPATION IN THE DONOR PROGRAM
- It is the donor’s responsibility to determine the value of the donation. The tax benefit is only available for those donors who itemize deductions on their tax returns. Those who take the standard deduction receive no additional tax benefit. Only contributions made during the previous tax year are eligible for tax benefits.
- The tax law allows a deduction for the fair market value of the donation. The IRS reminds donors to maintain records of their donation to substantiate the value of their gift.
- Taxpayers can find assistance regarding the donations they make in Publication 526, Charitable contributions. A second reference, publication 561, Determining the Value of Donated Property, answers many questions that donors may have when they make non-cash contributions. Both publications are available at the IRS website, www.irs.gov, or by calling 1-800-TAX-FORM (1-800-829-3676). To help you determine the value of your donation, you can use a five year, straight line depreciation (see formula below).
- Divide the original cost by 5 to determine yearly depreciation.
- Multiply the yearly depreciation by the age of the aids.
- Subtract the figure from the original cost to determine the remaining value.
- All donations for a tax year must be postmarked no later than December 31st to receive tax benefits for the next filing.
- Print out the HELP AMERICA HEAR donation form and complete it.
- Place the hearing aid/s in a padded box or padded envelope for shipping. Include the completed form from step 2
- Label the box or envelope HELP AMERICA HEAR donation. Include your name, address, and email inside the package.
- Ship to: 23 South Howell Avenue, Suite M Centereach, NY 11720
Thank you from all of us at HELP AMERICA HEAR Inc. Together we are Helping America Hear. To learn more, or make a donation, download the following form.